Do you get frustrated at how few good movies there are for kids nowadays? It seems most of the movies labeled ‘for children’ have vulgar language and situations that you really don’t want your kids to view. If you are out of ideas for good movies to watch with the kids, look back in time to some of the ‘oldies but goodies.’
List of Safe Old Movies for Kids
We have compiled a list of old movies that your children will probably love. Some are obvious choices, while others might not have occurred to you. Take a look and see what sounds great for family movie night this weekend!
- Dr. Doolittle – I remember watching this movie in the theaters as a child. My children can do without the female singing scenes, but other than that they love this classic.
- Shirley Temple Movies – Who doesn’t love Shirley Temple?
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – The child catcher might be scary for young ones, but elementary school aged children will probably love this great film.
- It’s a Wonderful Life – Your kids may roll their eyes when they see the black and white on the screen, but after 15 minutes they are sure to get wrapped up in this uplifting story.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – As a child I was enthralled when the credits began, watching chocolate float across the screen. Gene Wilder is still my Willy Wonka hero.
- Sound of Music – Boys may turn their noses up at this movie, but most girls will be singing ‘I am Sixteen’ before you know it.
- Old Black and White Science Fiction Movies – You know the ones? with the cheesy and unbelievable aliens and monsters? These are fun for older kids.
- African Queen – You would be surprised at how much your children will enjoy this old black and white.
Newer Movies that Kids Love:
- Star Wars – The FIRST, that is. Just last week my 17 year old was asking me about Star Wars. Could this movie be that old? And could my children never have seen it? We watched it together and had a great time.
- Stand by Me – Quirky and fun for kids that are a bit older.
- Raiders of the Lost Arc – This is a fast paced adventure that is sure to keep everyone on the edge of their seats!
- Field of Dreams – A movie that captured my children’s attention immediately.
- Goonies – Even the teenagers enjoyed watching Goonies. Do you remember this classic?
- Sand Lot – “You’re KILLING me Smalls!” Enough said.